If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone tell me that eating healthy is expensive or inconvenient…I could probably pay off my entire student debt! This is a HUGE misconception. In fact, you’d be surprised at how easy and affordable eating healthy whole foods can be! Please check out the link below from Health.com for some great tips you can carry with you into the New Year that can help you with those healthy New Years resolutions.
Additionally, have a game plan the next time you go grocery shopping. That’s right, know what you want before you go in order to prevent yourself from purchasing too many splurges and unecessary items. Try this:
- Plan your Weekly Menu:
- Pick 2-3 big meals (i.e. a meal that can feed you and your family for at least 2-3 meals) that you want to eat for that week and make my shopping list based on the ingredients I’d need in order to prepare those meals.** Only buy what you need.
- Read Grocery Newsletters:
- Check out the grocery ads and see which produce, meat, and dairy products are on sale for that week. Often times, there are also additional coupons you can use for those items too. **Short on time? Either opt to have these ads/fliers delivered to your email accounts or grab one at the customer service desk and briefly peruse it prior to shopping. Honestly, it takes just a few minutes and your wallet will thank you.
- Swap Junk Food Snacks for Whole Food Snacks:
- Aim to buy healthy snack options for the week (i.e. fruit, veggies and hummus, almond butter, whole grain rice crackers, yogurt, etc. For more examples click here). However, take an easy on those 100 calorie packs and diet bars. Think whole foods for WHOLE nutrition.
And remember, keeping an open mind on different food options can really help you save too. If you see a certain vegetable or fruit on sale for a great deal and you’ve never had it then try it! Not unless you’re allergic, it’s worth expanding your palate. There are too many recipes out there to say you don’t know how to cook or eat it. A little bit of effort can go a LONG way in terms of improving and maintaining your health!
Peace, Love, & Blessings!